Von: Wikidata [mailto:wikidata-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] Im Auftrag von
Aidan Hogan
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 7. März 2018 06:16
An: wikidata@lists.wikimedia.org
Betreff: Re: [Wikidata] GraFa: Faceted browser for RDF/Wikidata [thanks!]

Hi Joachim,

On 14-02-2018 7:32, Neubert, Joachim wrote:
> Hi Aidan, hi José,
>
> I'm a bit late - sorry!

Likewise! :)

> What came to my mind as an perhaps easy extension: Can or could the browser
> be seeded with an external property (for example P2611, TED speaker ID)?
>
> That would allow to browse some external dataset (e.g., all known TED
> speakers) by the facets provided by Wikidata.

Thanks for the suggestion! While it might seem an easy extension, unfortunately
that would actually require some significant changes since GraFa only considers
values that have a label/alias we can auto-complete on (which in the case of
Wikidata means, for the most part, Q* values).

While it would be great to support datatype/external properties, we figured
that adding them to the system in a general and clean way would not be trivial!
We assessed that some such properties require ranges (e.g., date-of-birth or
height), some require autocomplete (e.g., first name), etc. ... and in the case
of IDs, it's not clear that these are really useful for faceted browsing
perhaps since they will jump to a specific value. Hence it gets messy to handle
in the interface and even messier in the back-end.

(A separate issue is that of existential values ... finding entities that have
some value for a property as your example requires. That would require some
work, but would be more feasible!)

Best,
Aidan