On 6/11/19 12:06 PM, Andra Waagmeester wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 11:23 AM Jerven Bolleman et al wrote:
>

>     >>  So we are playing the game since ten years now: Everybody
>     tries other databases, but then most people come back to virtuoso.
>

> Nothing bad about virtuoso, on the contrary, they are a prime
> infrastructure provider (Except maybe their trademark SPARQL query:
> "select distinct ?Concept where {[] a ?Concept}" ;). But I personally
> think that replacing the current WDS with virtuoso would be a bad
> idea. Not from a performance perspective, but more from the signal it
> gives. If indeed as you state virtuoso is the only viable solution in
> the field, this field is nothing more than a niche. We really need
> more competition to get things done.
> Since both DBpedia and UniProt are indeed already running on Virtuoso
> - where it is doing a prime job -, having Wikidata running on another
> vendor's infrastructure does provide us with the so needed benchmark.
> The benchmark seems to be telling some of us already that there is
> room for other alternatives. So it is fulfilling its benchmarks role.
> Is there really no room for improvement with Blazegraph? How about
> graphDB?

Hi Andra,

The goal is to provide a solution to a problem. Unfortunately, it has
ended up in a product debate. I've struggle with the logic about a
demonstrable solution being challenged by a lack of alternatives.

The fundamental goal of Linked Data is to enable Data Publication and
Access that applies capabilities delivered by HTTP to modern Data
Access, Integration, and Management.

The Linked Data meme outlining Linked Data principles has existed since
2006. Like others, we digested the meme and applied it to our existing
SQL RDBMS en route to producing a solution that made the vision in the
paper reality, as demonstrated by DBpedia, DBpedia-Live, Uniprot, our
LOD Cloud Cache, and many other nodes in the massive LOD Cloud [1].

Virtuoso's role in the LOD Cloud is an example of what happens when open
standards are understood and appropriately applied to a problem, with a
little innovation.

Links:

[1]
https://medium.com/virtuoso-blog/what-is-the-linked-open-data-cloud-and-why-is-it-important-1901a7cb7b1f
-- What is the LOD Cloud, and why is it important?

[2]
https://medium.com/virtuoso-blog/what-is-small-data-and-why-is-it-important-fbf5f267884
-- What is Small Data, and why is it important?

--
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO