On 12/22/19 4:17 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> On 12/22/19 3:17 PM, Amirouche Boubekki wrote:
>> Hello all ;-)
>>

>> I ported the code to Chez Scheme to do an apple-to-apple comparison
>> between GNU Guile and Chez and took the time to launch a few queries
>> against Virtuoso available in Ubuntu 18.04 (LTS).
>>
>> Spoiler: the new code is always faster.
>>
>> The hard disk is SATA, and the CPU is dubbed: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU
>> E3-1220 V2 @ 3.10GHz
>>
>> I imported latest-lexeme.nt (6GB) using guile-nomunofu, chez-nomunofu
>> and Virtuoso:
>>
>> - Chez takes 40 minutes to import 6GB
>> - Chez is 3 to 5 times faster than Guile
>> - Chez is 11% faster than Virtuoso
>>
>> Regarding query time, Chez is still faster than Virtuoso with or
>> without cache.  The query I am testing is the following:
>>
>> SELECT ?s ?p ?o
>> FROM <http://fu>
>> WHERE {
>>   ?s <http://purl.org/dc/terms/language>
>> <http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q150> .
>>   ?s <http://wikiba.se/ontology#lexicalCategory>
>> <http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q1084> .
>>   ?s <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#label> ?o
>> };
>>
>> Virtuoso first query takes: 1295 msec.
>> The second query takes: 331 msec.
>> Then it stabilize around: 200 msec.
>>
>> chez nomunofu takes around 200ms without cache.
>>
>> There is still an optimization I can do to speed up nomunofu a little.
>>

>> Happy hacking!
> If you are going to make claims about Virtuoso, please shed light on
> your Virtuoso configuration and host machine.
>
> How much memory do you have on this machine? What the CPU Affinity re
> CPUs available.
>
> Is there a URL for sample data used in your tests?

Looking at
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/65734/intel-xeon-processor-e3-1220-v2-8m-cache-3-10-ghz.html,
your Virtuoso INI settings are even more important due to the fact that
we have CPU Affinity of 4 in play i.e., you need configure Virtuoso such
that it optimizes behavior for this setup.

--
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO