Hi all,

I led the project last year to include Wikidata on the Welsh OSM so perhaps I
can answer your question.

The map prioritises Welsh place names from OSM where available. We filled some
of the gaps (around 5-6k I think) by pulling Welsh labels from Wikidata where
OSM entries have Qid's but no Welsh name.

Alongside this we did some work to add more Qid's to Welsh places on OSM but
this was done manually. I've also done a lot of work to clean up Welsh
settlement data on Wikidata. Andy knows the OSM community better than me but my
understanding is that there is more reluctance to go for big batch edits than
on Wikidata, but long term, adding more qid's to OSM  (aligning the data) would
be super valuable for getting the most out of the open data that is already out
there, especially for mapping in smaller languages.

Hope that helps,

Jason

--
Jason Evans