Declan --

In the case of a pre-existing page -- the user is given a warning that
the page exists. However, for a newbie this is an easy oversight and
sometimes a page is overwritten. Fortunately -- in the wiki
environment, mistakes are easily corrected with a revert  <smile>.

What you could do is include a category in the template generator to
identify new pages created. This way you would be able to see what
pages your students have created -- and check that they have not
overwritten existing pages.

Once you confirm that its a valid page -- you could remove the
category.

Also - you may find these instructions useful - now that you have the
basic idea working:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Inputbox.

Any other thoughts from the Wikimasters out there?