From: Scott Newson <scott.g.new...@gmail.com>
To: wikieducator@googlegroups.com
Sent: Monday, April 6, 2009 12:12:37 PM
Subject: [WikiEducator] Re: the power of less

The thing with technology is that 'less' is very subjective. Tools that lessen
the cognitive load on the user often have a lot of though put into them by
their designers who consider them more complex than a similar tool that
requires a lot from the user. With the example of a WYSIWYG editor, those of us
who are used to working with the normal wiki markup language and who know that
it takes an 'extra' extension to make the WYSIWYG happen might think of such a
change as 'more', but for someone who is just used to using normal document
editors being able to make changes in a familiar way means that there is less
of a transition to make.

>From the article you referenced: "I see more people trying to get the ideas
>that already exist right." This sort of comment seems to support the idea of
>working to make existing activities easier (ie WYSIWYG editors, easy
>interface). I'm actually rather confused now as to what you are trying to
>say...
I originally thought that you were concerned that general infatuation with
shiny new tools would lead to an overly complex environment, and that having
less of these extensions would lead to a simpler/better environment... but now
I'm not sure. Could you expand a bit?

I personally like to be able to explore and figure out how things work,
especially in computers, so I often end up doing things in a 'less is more'
way. But I still like being able to make use of abstractions in areas that I
don't understand yet. For example, I'd hate to have to hand code an email to do
all the things an email does to get from me to you every time I want to say hi.

Scott

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 12:35 AM, NELLIE DEUTSCH
<nellie.muller.deut...@gmail.com> wrote:

Randy,
The power of less may make the digital natives powerless. :) The next
generation we need to consider is not ours. We should empower the next
generation to be independent thinkers who will be able to design tools that
cater to their needs not ours. Are we not merely making a copy of ourlives with
new tools:
http://socialcpr.blogspot.com/2009/03/new-tool-for-doing-it-old-school.html
Warm wishes,
Nellie Deutsch
Doctoral Student
Educational Leadership
Curriculum and Instruction
http://www.wikieducator.org/EL4C21
http://www.wikieducator.org/User:Nelliemuller
skype:nelliedeutschmuller

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 8:29 PM, Randy Fisher <wikira...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi everyone,

Just reflecting on our wish that WikiEducator improve its functionality -
WYSYIWG, Liquid Threads, nicer interface, easier account registration, and I
come across this interesting article on BBC News:

Enjoy!

- Randy

--
________________
Randy Fisher

+ 1 604.684.2275 (Pacific Time)
wikira...@gmail.com

http://www.wikieducator.org - Member, WikiEducator Community Council
http://www.wikieducator.org/User:Randyfisher

* Can You Do the Wiki-Wiki? http://www.wikieducator.org/Wiki_Wiki

Skype: wikirandy

"Open Education is a Sustainable & Renewable Resource.

* For faster and greater ROI, please encourage Philanthropists to require that
any content written under their grants / funding,  be released as free and open
source content.