Hi Anil and friends,

Apology for the delayed response -- I've been away on a short international
mission.  I'm very pleased and excited to see this discussion taking shape
:-). It's a very positive sign showing the maturation of our community and
that we're on track to achieving our mission!

Since founding WikiEducator --- I've held the firm belief that this is a
community project and that our processes and guidelines should be developed
collaboratively by the community as and when they're required. It's great to
see this level of volunteer effort from a wide range of WikiEducators
sharing the load in taking our project forward.

I agree that we should avoid reinventing wheels and we have the advantage of
adapting and refining guidelines and policies that have evolved in the
Wikipedia and other WMF projects. In fact, WikiEducator's policy for Open
Community Governance was derived from corresponding bylaws of the WikiMedia
Foundation (with proper attribution :-) ) but specifically refined for the
needs of a community of Educators -- See:
http://wikieducator.org/WikiEducator:Policy_for_Community_Governance

At the same time, WikiEducator has the advantage of hindsight and we have
the opportunity to refine and improve on guidelines and policies developed
by the WMF projects as suited to the unique needs of our community.  Let's
work together in getting this right.

At this stage, we are in the process of developing a proposal for
establishing workgroups which will become the community mechanism for WE to
develop guidelines and policy proposals. WE plan to table the guidelines for
Workgroups at the next Community Council meeting scheduled for September
2009. That said, I don't see any reason to hold back on the development of
corresponding guidelines addressing the needs you have identified in this
thread.  We will need to prioritise the list -- we won't be able to tackle
all these policy proposals in one go.

I'd recommend starting with developing a proposal for guidelines and support
resources relating to WikiEducator Administrators (i.e. Sysops and
Bureaucrats).  From my desk -- I'd recommend that Copyright policy would be
the next priority taking into account the challenges we have with users
uploading images which are not properly attributed.

If this makes sense --- feel free to start a page in the WikiEducator
namespace for a workgroup on WikiEducator Administrators, for example:

http://www.wikieducator.org/Workgroup:WikiEducator_Administrators

As far as possible -- try and align the development with the emerging, but
draft guidelines of the Workgroup on workgroups -- see:

http://www.wikieducator.org/Workgroup:WikiEducator_Workgroups

The first step of the workgroup for WikiEducator Adminstrators would be to
draft a charter for the workgroup. There is a draft charter framework under
development here:

http://www.wikieducator.org/Workgroup:WikiEducator_Workgroups/Team_Charter

I be very happy to join a workgroup on establishing guidelines for
WikiEducator Adminstrators under your convenorship Anil --- keep up the good
work! Perhaps we can get this work completed before the next council meeting
and have the guidelines for Administrators approved as the first set of
guidelines under the emerging Workgroup policy :-)

Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director,
International Centre for Open Education,
Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand.
Board of Directors, OER Foundation.
Founder and Community Council Member, Wikieducator, www.wikieducator.org
Mobile +64 21 2436 380