Wayne,

Well, engineering WE's visual identity could be as involved as
completely rearranging all the elements of a page, in a complete
separation from WMF's monobook skin.  This is usually referred to as
"re-skinning" the wiki.  Wikia did this, I would imagine, in order to
incorporate user interactions that didn't fit in with monobook.
Re-skinning is not something one can do without having a separate copy
of WE's version of MediaWiki to test.  To me, it seems so much of a
hassle that one would need to have a very good reason to change it.

Do you think there will be a necessity for this sort of thing?

Jesse