Hi Valerie,

Looks like a great project concept and I like the idea of sourcing OERs
which WE are free to adapt modify and redistribute :-). Therefore when
categorising and listing content resources it would be useful to include
licensing and or copyright information.

Sadly the majority of resource links on the WE_Collaborate page point to
materials which we are NOT free to adapt, modify and redistribute :-(.

For example -- take a look at Merlot's Copyright License -- it is VERY
misleading.

On the main landing pages they have a link which says:

"Content on this site is licensed under Creative Commons License
Conditions<http://taste.merlot.org/acceptableuserpolicy.html>" note
that on this page they do not state what creative commons licenses."
Further examination will reveal that this is not a licensing culture of
permissions -- but rather a IP policy designed to restrict use.

Reading the Merlot licensing regime you will find that they have own
complicated and restrictive licensing policy in place. The short answer is
WE cannot touch these materials because they do not meet the requirements of
the Free Cultural Works definition and from WikiEducator's perspective
Merlot resources do not qualify is free/libre content.

Merlot provides different rights to different categories of people, and a
convoluted and complex licensing policy which dishes out different freedoms
to different people. In our view this is unacceptable.

"Partners Only" is a category of Merlot users who  require written
permission from Merlot -- Quoting from their site:

 "Partner-only materials require written permission from MERLOT for reuse.
After receiving such permission, the materials fall under the Creative
Commons conditions described in Table 1 (which provides a complicated
licensing framework for different types of materials). Partners who pay or
contribute resources have access to a different set of materials from the
general education public. Merlot members have different licensing conditions
to the general public.  Merlot also uses different licenses for different
types of material, eg metadata, assignments, member comments".  Moreover,
the fact that MERLOT has applied additional licensing conditions than the
standard Creative Commons licenses -- effectively restricts remix and reuse.

Reading further you will see that the use of Learning Materials by all other
users is effectively all rights reserved copyright. Merlot's licensing
requirements are not aligned with our values and IMHO we should not use
valuable community time to reference WE resources on Merlot.

I think its a good idea to partner and support initiatives which subscribe
to our values and meaning of freedom.  Together we can achieve more than
working alone.

It is up to us to ensure that the world will have access to free/libre
content -- sadly, content which you are free to adapt, modify and reuse is
still in the minority. However, WE are going to make a difference!

--
Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director,