I think I get it a bit better now Leo, thanks!  btw: I used to be a Middle
School teacher :)  Anyway, one activity I would suggest goes something
like this: each person begins writing on a topic they are fairly familiar
with, or have an opinion about (or it could even be a story).  You give
them a certain amount of time to write--like 5 minutes--then you tell them
they have to switch papers.  They must read what's been written and then
continue writing on the topic.  After a certain length of time, you make
them switch again.  You repeat this, making sure to add enough time with
each change to give them time to read and write.  Eventually they end up
with their original paper back, which you will ask them to read.  Some of
the things they can then discuss as a class are things like:

Did I learn anything from this exercise?  Did I gain knowledge of or an
interest in new topics?
Can I tell whether the person reading this understood what the topic was
about? (comprehension)
What can I learn about their ability to write (especially in a timed
situation)?
How would this exercise feel for individuals with different learning
styles--is there a way we could adapt this and if so, how?

There are a number of additional questions they could discuss in regards
to this.  It mimics social networking.

I hope this is something you might find useful.

Ellen

Ellen Marie Murphy
Director of Online Curriculum
SUNY Empire State College