I imagine that at least in the US charges would be of two kinds.  Usually, students would charged whatever the college or university's "usual and customary" fees are per credit hour...which can vary from a few hundred to a thousand dollars or more depending on many things such as the perceived "prestige" of the institution.  In a few cases where colleges have mechanisms for awarding credits through Prior Learning Assessment, the fees could be considerably less, but often PLA would only be awarded to matriculated students as part of an approved degree.

I would hope that eventually OERu member institutions would grand credit for OERu courses at a reasonable fee that would be far less than the "usual and customary" rates but I suppose this would be an individual institutional decision.  Hope this helps a bit.  Joyce McKnight

-----wikieducator@googlegroups.com wrote: -----
To: wikieducator@googlegroups.com
From: Vtaylor
Sent by: wikieducator@googlegroups.com
Date: 08/15/2014 06:21AM
Subject: [WikiEducator] Paying for credit

There is considerable interest from students in earning credit of completing open courses. Many MOOCs and open courses do offer the option of receiving credit or certification and there is normally a fee associated with that.

Just curious
  • What is the range of costs to students for credit or certification?
  • What percentage of the registered students do get credit or certification? How is that handled by the granting institution?
  • What is the region of origin for students seeking credit? Are they in the same region as the granting institution? Are they in regions without credit granting institutions? Are the students in regions where credit granting institutions can not serve all the students wanting credit through traditional courses?

Thanks.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "WikiEducator" group.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "WikiEducator" group.