On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 02:14:52PM -0500, wjhon...@aol.com wrote:
> When a secondary source brings forth a statement, it can be balanced
> by a primary source. What would be wrong would be to present a
> brand-new claim directly from a primary source, which no secondary
> source mention whatsoever.

What would you make of decades-old papers that are well known and
accepted by everyone in the area, but not covered by review texts
because nobody feels a need to do so? This is the situation with much
mathematical research. It's simply impossible to include every fact
about a topic in a text, so the author chooses a certain perspective and
set of topics. Results that don't fit are left out.

More briefly: the assumption that all journal papers include contingent
results or experimental data that might be invalidated later is not
correct.

> "The Neutrino has no mass.  In other news, it's been recently found
> that the neutrino is made of Spam."

The only difficulty here is that the "made of Spam" claim should be
attributed to the authors:

  "The Neutrino has no mass. Jones and Jones (2009) have recently
  published a paper in which they claim the Neutrino is made of Spam."

That is assuming that the Jones/Jones result is of interest to people
in the field and not just a crank paper of some sort. For example, if
they published their paper in Science, that would be a sign it is of
interest.

As another example, if some new researcher claimed to have verified
[[cold fusion]] and published in a respected peer reviewed journal, we
could certainly include that in the article even if no other source had
commented on it - but with appropriate attribution.

This is assuming that all journal papers are actually primary sources in
the NOR sense, of course. My own position is that NOR makes non-experimental
papers "secondary sources", and in those cases there is no issue.

 - Carl