I know all that. But thats really a minor software issue. We could for
example allow IP's to set such preferences. Or display a default dating
format based on the IP. If the IP is from the US, display the US dating
format, else display international standard. It could be as simple as
putting a link on every page (for IPs) asking the user to click if he or she
wants to see the data in imperial or metric style.
The point is we should promote the ability to customize how people can see
data in a way they are comfortable with. There is absolutely no reason to
force me to learn an archaic and useless format such as inches, fahrenheits,
ounces and etc. For similar reasons no reason to force a fahrenheit person
to learn celsius. The conversion rate of celsius to fahrenheit is well
known. Software can compute this effortlessly. Even if the reader has an
account he or she cannot set a fixed metric for stuff like date,
temperature, length, weight and etc.

The complaint against standardization mentioned here is against the forced
non-customizable formats. This complaint wants to see all dates (and other
metrcis) to be inputed in a machine readable way.