Probably March 2001 would be the earliest slashdotting:

And right at the end it says:

Hector, who started the 'gnupedia' project recently wrote this on his
mailing list:

"Now, the FSF's plans are give all the support to the Nupedia project.
So Nupedia will become the official GNU encyclopedia."

-0) "Nupedia seems to be too centralized and slow moving for me. I
understand the need for quality control, but wouldn't it make more
sense to have a more bazaar-type free encyclopedia project?"

Maybe so! People who want to get started _today_ on contributing free
texts to the world can do so at Wikipedia. All the content is released
under the GNU FDL, and it already has over 1000 articles. Short, and
maybe not the high quality of Nupedia, but with time? Who knows..."

--
-Ian Woollard

We live in an imperfectly imperfect world. Life in a perfectly
imperfect world would be *much* better. Life in an imperfectly perfect
world would be pretty ghastly though.