Mr. Martinez wasn't kidnapped at the time, was he? I mean, there was nobody
actually holding him prisoner, was there?

I don't think many westerners realise how endemic kidnapping for profit is
in this region of the world; it's commonplace and a longstanding pattern of
behaviour that goes back centuries. Most of these kidnappings are
economically driven, and target anyone they think might have the money; the
overwhelming majority of kidnap victims are non-notable, so they would never
have an article about them into which their kidnapping could be added. But
people with a larger reputation have a different economic value, and they
can be sold to those who wish to make their kidnapping a political/religious
issue.  And once the people are being held for idealistic reasons, the rules
- and the risks - change.

Risker