The 'deletionists' (and I use that word somewhat ironically, we don't have
meetings or leaders or even a philosophy beyond 'improve the encyclopedia')
vs the 'inclusionists' (I always thought that word was chosen as a catch-all
to cast the other side as slightly evil, much like you can't help but feel
slightly guilty voting against 'pro-life', even though you know the label
was picked for exactly those reasons) is, in my opinion, actually a shining
example of the wiki process and I'm glad it was chosen as at least one of
the topics. Deep seated disagreements over the project were solved by
consensus building and community, resulting in sensible guidelines that
helps us keep the vast majority of utter crap out of the 'pedia, while users
who enjoy the work organize teams hunting for that diamond in the rough to
polish and display. Everyone's happy, and the community solved it. Great
subject.

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dal...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/8/17 Carcharoth <carcharot...@googlemail.com>:
> > On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Cathy Edwards<cathy.edwa...@bbc.co.uk>
> wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> >> 1. The inclusionist / deletionist debate peaked a few years ago
> >
> > It did? Maybe I haven't been paying attention. I was under the
> > impression that notability guidelines were still a topic of heated
> > debate as regards articles on fiction topics. Or has a guideline
> > finally been thrashed out?
>
> The original debate was global, there were people that believed our
> standards should be much stricter all over and there were people the
> believed our standards should be much more relaxed all over. That
> global debate finished years ago, there are now separate debates
> regarding different topics (BLPs and fiction are the two main ones, I
> think). Classifying people as "inclusionist" or "deletionist" doesn't
> work in the current environment since someone might be on one side for
> one topic and the other for others.

-Brock