David Gerard wrote:
> 2009/8/21 Tony Sidaway <tonysida...@gmail.com>:
>
>> On 8/19/09, Carcharoth <carcharot...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Does anyone else get annoyed by certain hatlinks?
>>>

>> I don't see the problem here.  Be bold and remove crap, whether
>> pointless hatnotes or anything else.
>>

> It's an editorial issue. The two-item disambig is one workaround,
> though more than two items is nice.

To be perfectly frank, many English Wikipedia articles
look way too busy. Not just with "front matter" but with
"end matter" and many other kinds of ancillary tables
and charts, which are genuinely useful all, in their
intended circumstances, but do have a visual effect --
regrettably -- not a million miles away from those caused
by advertisements.

If I were a cartoonist, and had to draw a caricature of a
wikipedia article, it wouldn't look anything like wikipetan,
but would be reminiscent of something like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Onemanband.jpg

There is absolutely no chance of a silver bullet to fix this.
The best we can do is to be aware of the issue, and keep
reminding ourselves that it is going to ever be a trade-off;
and a huge problem is that people want cookie-cutter
solutions, but also regrettably wish to mold the cookie-
cutters around the most monstrous cases, not the cases
where applying the rigid framework is way too draconian.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen