Yes, chronicles are accepted as primary sources, because there is
nothing further back from them--they serve essentially the same
function as newspapers. Obviously, they have to be used with a good
deal of interpretation,just as newspapers. I don't believe everything
in a newspaper happened just as they describe it either.  However, the
ASC, as many other chronicles, also serve as secondary sources,
commenting on the events they describe: for example, the famous
analysis of K. William I at 1087 is a secondary evaluation, more of
less like a modern editorial in a newspaper, which is a secondary
source,

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.