The click-through rate tends to be low, but Wikipedia is so popular that
this still generates substantial traffic to the online sources that get
cited frequently.  The question is how much.

If you can tolerate the analogy, think of reference links as equivalent to a
durable type of linkspam.  Reference links that meet our reliable sources
guideline seldom get removed from articles except during edit disputes.  Our
policies and practices actively encourage this type of linking, and
newspapers of record are among the greatest beneficiaries.  Estimate how
many thousands of Wikipedia references link to archival WSJ articles.

It would be interesting to communicate with reliable source regarding how
much traffic they receive from Wikipedia.  Ultimately it's better for us if
our volunteers spend more time improving articles instead of replacing dead
source links.  And although I won't lose any sleep if Rupert Murdoch's
income dips slightly next year, I'd like to see The New York Times meet its
mortgage payments.

-Durova

http://durova.blogspot.com/