On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Nathan <nawr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> day's events in history. Excluding Pearl Harbor (or anything similarly
> notable) from OTD because a related content item is featured elsewhere
> on the page suggests that the event itself is not notable enough to be
> listed on OTD. I doubt many readers will realize it was kept out only

There is an assumption in this thread that the "On this day" shows the five
most notable events that happened on this day, in history. Is that true? If
it were, we would see a cycle that repeats every year, with the same five
events every year. Is that a good thing?

Personally, I'm very much in favour of "on this day" highlighting less well
known events, rather than the bleeding obvious.

Steve