I have a standing offer to assist the conversion of "featured pictures" to
"featured media" so that it highlights sounds as well as images.  There
appears to be a moderate but surmountable obstacle with the monthly roster
template; Howcheng knows the details.

In order to facilitate the change with minimal inconvenience to anyone else,
I would withdraw my own featured pictures from the main page queue.  Now
that museum partnerships have developed to where institutions are providing
material upon request that offer would need to be modified.  But basically
no other featured picture contributor would need to wait much longer for a
turn on the main page.

If the community supports this shift it would help the featured sounds
program.

Also, there is an ongoing problem with removal of featured pictures from
articles.  The only way to tell that an image is featured is by clicking in
at the file hosting page.  Many editors never check, which means that on a
somewhat random basis featured pictures get taken out or replaced with lower
quality material.  (This is the media corrolary to featured articles
deteriorating from brilliant prose into mediocre prose).  If the community
approved a featured star display for caption boxes the problem would
decrease significantly, and casual readers would have the advantage of a cue
to the site's best illustrations.  Non-featured pictures are rarely worth a
view at full resolution, but featured pictures reward a close examination.

-Durova

http://durova.blogspot.com/