On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Gwern Branwen <gwe...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> it was only when I gave it a last try all the way back to December,
> that I figured it out: 2 entire substantial sections had gotten
> deleted.

Goodness. That reminds me of the problem there used to be with
unclosed ref tags leading to articles truncating on the screen at the
point the closing ref tag was missing. The text was all there, just
not displaying. I think that got fixed when someone tweaked Mediawiki
to jump and down and produce flashing red warning lights when this
happens.

Something like removal of entire section can be picked up by edit
filters, but you still need people to check the filters and decide
which edits are good and which are bad. I had an edit filter set up to
detect the removal of "Category:Living people" from articles, but
stopped following it after a few weeks when I realised that most of
the edits were being reverted for other reasons before I had a chance
to check (some way was needed to *flag* which edits had been dealt
with or not).

Funny that, you know, flagging of edits. I first encountered a form of
that on wikisource. Some form of flagged revisions might happen on
en-Wikipedia some day as well, but it is quite a culture change to get
used to. Hopefully when it happens, people will adapt quickly (ditto
for LiquidThreads).

In fact, that has been my major worry about both Flagged Revisions and
LiquidThreads. Will people get turned off by the new user interfaces
if they don't like them? How do you implement major changes like this
without breaking parts of what currently exist?

Carcharoth