On 7 May 2010 01:13, William Pietri <will...@scissor.com> wrote:

> On 05/06/2010 04:38 PM, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> > On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 5:22 PM, William Pietri<will...@scissor.com>
>  wrote:
> >
> >> We discussed this at some length today, and I wanted to update
> everybody.
> >>
> > Who is the we in your message?  (I'm just asking because its entirely
> > ambiguous, since you were quoting me it looks like I was involved,
> > though I obviously wasn't :) )
> >

> Sorry, I mean we the project team. Howie Fung, Aaron Schulz, Rob
> Lanphier, me. We do a Skype call every Thursday.
>
> >> We think the first part is a great idea, but not crucial for launch. So
> >> we've added to the backlog, and barring some sort of excitement that
> >> demands more immediate attention, we'll get to it soon after launch.
> >>

> > When is this launch planned to occur?
> >

> The most accurate answer: when it's ready. Qualitatively, soon. Those
> who want a more precise answer are welcome to extrapolate from the data
> here:
>
> http://www.pivotaltracker.com/projects/46157
>

> >> For the second part, we're concerned. There are reasonable arguments on
> >> both sides. It's a solution to a problem that's currently only
> >> hypothetical, that anons will be put off if we're clear about what's
> >> actually going on. Even if there is some effect like that, we'd have to
> >> weigh that against our project's strong bias toward transparency. And if
> >> despite that we decided it was worth doing, we still think it's not
> >> crucial to do before launch.
> >>
> > I'm really saddened by the continued characterization of de-emphasis
> > as something which reduces transparency.  It has continually been my
> > position that the current behaviour actually reduces transparency by
> > being effectively dishonest on account of being an excessive
> > over-simplification.
> >

> > The message currently delivered by the software is:
> > "Edits must be reviewed before being published on this page."
> >
> > And yet the edit will be instantly available to every person on earth
> > (well, at least all of the people who can currently access Wikipedia)
> > the moment it is saved.   The interface text is misleading. It is not
> > a good example of transparency at all.
> >

> We are entirely open to improvements to that text, or any other text.
> It's the best we've come up with so far, but we're under no illusions as
> to its perfection.
>
> We do think it's important to indicate to people that if they browse
> back later, they will not see their change. It will also not be visible
> to the general public, including if they tell friends to take a look,
> and we want to be clear about that.
>
> > What I was attempting to propose was being selective in which of many
> > possible misunderstandings the contributor was most likely to walk
> > away with, this isn't the same as proposing a reduction in
> > transparency.
> >

> Sorry if I misunderstood! I thought somebody was arguing for removing
> [...]

Just thought I'd pitch in here and say thank you William for these extensive
and well-reasoned answers. A couple of months ago the Flagged-revs issue was
possibly the least visible WMF-funded activity, but now it must to be the
most visible/transparent of them all. The time spent on mailing list replies
is no-doubt cutting in to the time spent coding - but if this means that
many of the concerns are worked out and much of the pent-up steam has
already been vented by the time the software goes live - then this could be
a most successful roll out! I'm glad to hear that Erik Zachte will be
watching and measuring during the launch period as, like Gregory says, good
data will be crucial to knowing if the software is actually achieving the
desired outcome.

-Liam [[witty lama]]

wittylama.com/blog
Peace, love & metadata