On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 10:18:03 -0400, Abd wrote:

> Durova's history is a classic example. She was hounded by a screaming
> mob when she made a mistake, even though she recognized the error and
> undid it within an hour.

I might well be counted as part of that "screaming mob" since I was
one of the critics at the time, but my intended target was never
Durova personally (who is now a Facebook friend of mine), but the
entire system and its associated mindsets, in which a group of
"insiders", with closed mailing lists of their own, takes on a
"circling the wagons" mentality against "trolls and harassers",
leading to snap judgments that can get people blocked or banned for
saying politically incorrect things.

I had some comments on that situation in my essay I wrote as a
rebuttal to one of JzG's essays:

http://dan.tobias.name/controversies/cyber/wiki2.html

--
== Dan ==