I do think that kind of degradation happens over time, and not just because
a FA made the front-page. So, I would favor locking a FA on the front page
for 24 hours, FWIW. So that's my position on dealing with FAs... just lock
'em for awhile.

Obviously I agree that standards have risen over time -- if I look back at
articles I created in 2006-7 when I first got involved, I can see why some
might recommend them for deletion now (although they did persist and were
improved thereafter).

I'm not completely sure where SC was going with his observation about
"Destructionism" -- I took it as a clever play on "Deletionism" and all the
other -isms, to point out a phenomenon he's noticed on at least En-WP, which
I recognized immediately.

As little as I wish to speak for him, nor do I wish to summarize David, but
I think he's talking about a different thing, not about FAs, but how quality
articles evolve over time, especially as major facts (or received wisdom)
changes. In that case, I default to the status quo on en-wp, which I think
is better than not, as I'm sure most of us do.