On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Gwern Branwen <gwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Brain Diving: The Ghost with the Most" by Brain Ruh, _ANN_
> http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/brain-diving/2011-08-09

>> ...However, this puts books like Drazen's in an odd predicament. It's not
>> really an academic book, since it lacks the references and theories
>> something like that would entail, which means it's not a good candidate for
>> a university press.

My rule of thumb for self-published sources is to see if they cite
their sources. If they do, then you can check what they say. If they
don't, then you can't, and that can be a problem even with so-called
'reliable' sources. The best measure of reliability after a really
reputable name and publisher and reputation, is citing of sources
(there is a reason why this is done, after all). So much so, that when
I buy (or browse) books that I might consider useful for Wikipedia
editing, the first thing I do is look at the back to see how good the
references are (if there are any). If there are none, I may buy
(borrow if in a library) the book anyway as something of interest, but
would be far less likely to use it for Wikipedia editing.

Carcharoth