From: WereSpielChequers <werespielchequ...@gmail.com>
To: Michael Katz <michaeladamk...@yahoo.com>; English Wikipedia
<wikien-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2011 2:55 AM
Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] finding the "most recognizable" page names

Hi Michael,

I don't know if such a list exists, other than lists by largest numbers of
views.

Size of article probably relates to interest of one or a few editors and
complexity of information, I doubt if it would closely relate to
recognisability. Incoming links is probably better but can get awfully skewed
by templates, and some links are more meaningful than others.

Recognisable in the USA is not necessarily the same as recognisable globally.
Ideally if you want a US specific list you need US specific data, if you use a
global list you could wind up asking Americans about Johnny Vegas, Aby Titmuss,
Jack Straw and Kevin Pietersen. You might also consider the generation you are
targeting.    Lady_Bird_Johnson would be better known among Americans and older
people.

I'd suggest using metrics of page views per article, and if you want a
specifically US product screen out articles that don't use American English
spelling. Better still would be to get page views from the USA, or at least
page views ignoring the 6 hours when the US is most likely to be asleep.

WereSpielChequers

On 30 September 2011 04:17, Michael Katz <michaeladamk...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I'm making a crossword-style word game, and I'm trying to automate the process
of creating the puzzles, at least somewhat.