On 1 October 2011 18:15, Carcharoth <carcharot...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> The assumption "Presumably anything that still remains is of
> sufficient quality for whatever level the article is" has so much
> wrong with it that I don't know where to start.

No, if material lasts for a long period in an article it's highly likely to
be fairly good even if it gets rewritten later; and the more material and
the longer it lasts, the better.

It's the area under the curve that matters, not whether it *eventually* gets
rewritten.

So time_in_article * number_of_unique_characters is probably a fairly good
metric.

And you could multiply by the article hit rate to get an even better metric
I expect.

Whereas you can get very high edit counts by many well-known ways, even
breaking an edit down into many sub-edits can multiply up edit counts, or
just doing lots of vandalism reverts.

It is quite common for  the final push for an article to be featured to
> involve different editors to those that brought it to the current state. And
> that often involves stepping back, taking a long hard look at the article
> and the sources, and then ripping up large quantities of the article and
> rewriting and rebalancing things.

So you're saying that sometimes people rewrite articles, and this
contradicts my point how?

> Carcharoth
>
> --
-Ian Woollard