On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 4:41 AM, Tim Starling <tstarl...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On 13/02/13 10:41, David Gerard wrote:
>> On 12 February 2013 23:05, Carcharoth <carcharot...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> PS. You might find that the page(s) you chose to read had been
>>> protected for years, or was in the middle of an edit war. Or that the
>>> entire encyclopedia had been 'checked' and published and was
>>> 'finished'? Would that be a cause for celebration or not? OK, I
>>> suppose this is all missing the point of the question...
>>

>> It's interesting. If you were in 1890, and you got ten minutes' access
>> to an Encyclopedia Britannica from 1990 - what would you look up?
>
> Maybe some disease of local concern. Water-borne diseases like typhoid
> or cholera would be a lucky choice, since ten minutes would just about
> give you time to follow a q.v. to "chlorination" and make the relevant
> discovery some 4 years early. Calcium hypochlorite was already widely
> available, all you've got to do is mix it with your drinking water.

As many of the articles I currently regularly check to see how badly
vandalized or not they are...

Probably given that the scale of time is such, the relative amount
of active editing in them wouldn't be a concern, so I would go for
pure degree of concern in general.

Mother Theresa, Martin Luther, Solon, List of Occultists, Isaac
Newton's Occult Studies.