On 1 July 2013 20:47, Carl (CBM) <cbm.wikipe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 6:38 AM, David Gerard <dger...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > tl;dr: voting creates winners and losers, and losers are unhappy and
> > disengage.
>

> This is exactly why Germany announced that their next presidential election
> is going to eliminate voting entirely, and let the voters just argue about
> it until they come to an agreement about the next president. If they can't
> agree, the current president will be kept as the status quo. But at least
> nobody will feel like their candidate lost. </sarcasm>

In fairness the chapter does accept that democracy is okey for countries
(because you can't leave them) although I would tend to disagree as to its
reasoning as to why democracy was historically adopted.

> The "voting is evil" idea has a kernel of truth: when a small number of
> editors are working on an individual article, it is better to come to
> mutual agreement on article content than to have lots of tiny polls about
> the content.

The slogan is pretty useful in keeping things that way.

> But somehow "voting is evil" spread to situations where consensus-based
> decision making is well known to fail, e.g. on community-level issues where
> hundreds of editors want to voice their input. Well, actually we do have a
> sort of vote on those, but we claim it "really" isn't a vote, and then we
> try to find someone with enough gravitas (a bureaucrat or arbitrator, in
> extreme cases) to judge the "consensus".

I would argue regardless of the wording used what is actually going on
there is an attempt at an informed democracy which is probably the best we
can hope for.

--
geni