It looks interesting. What does this do that lists on individual
Wikipedias can't do?

I work a fair amount on award lists, and some are in other countries
or have recipients with articles in other Wikipedias, but mostly they
are relatively obscure and will not have an article on any Wikipedia.

Examples:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frink_Medal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leidy_Award
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Robert_Oppenheimer_Memorial_Prize

There are huge numbers of awards articles out there, some waiting to
be created. Many of them are good resources for red-links of articles
that could be created.

A better example (for more interwikis) is this article (in en, de, it and pt):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werner_von_Siemens_Ring

How would wikidata handle that sort of data?

Carcharoth