From: Alex Ezell <aez...@wikimedia.org>
Date: Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 7:58 PM
Subject: [Wikitech-l] Changes to User Blocking
To: <wikitec...@lists.wikimedia.org>

Hi all,
I'm Alex Ezell and I'm the Engineering Manager for the Anti-Harassment
Tools team at the WMF. I have some details about user blocking that I'd
like to share.

*tl:dr;*
On a wiki with the new Partial Blocks enabled (currently only testwiki), if
the code is checking User::isBlocked() to determine edit rights, it should
instead check User::isBlockedFrom( Title ). The code could also check
isBlocked()
&& $block->isSitewide(). If it doesn’t, the code may block users that
shouldn’t be blocked.

*More details:*
Recently, the Anti-Harassment Tools team merged code to enable a new
feature called Partial Blocks. This feature lets admins block users from
editing particular pages instead of only being able to block users from the
entire site. It is currently enabled on testwiki.

This means that there are now multiple types of blocks (and more to come in
the future, ie namespace blocks). The specific new types are “partial” as
opposed to “sitewide” and some non-editing types of blocks (send email,
edit talk page, etc.) Previously, a developer could assume that if a user
was “blocked” that meant the user couldn’t do much of anything because that
was a “sitewide” block and the only kind of block. Now, there are more
cases to be concerned about.

Specifically, we’ve seen some extensions using User::isBlocked() and then
assuming that a user can’t edit the particular page that the extension
might be concerned with. User::isBlockedFrom( Title ) with a Title object
will be the more correct way to check because of the possibility that a
user might not be blocked from that particular page. If the code isn’t
concerned with editing, it would be appropriate to use User::isAllowed()
which will determine blocked status by way of User::getRights().

There is also a new method Block::isSitewide() which can help a developer
determine if the block is “sitewide” or some other type. This is useful if
the code doesn’t care about anything but the “sitewide” block type.

We believe that keeping User::isBlocked() in its current state is the safer
way to proceed because in cases where it’s being used incorrectly it would
result in over-enforcing blocks rather than under-enforcing them. A user
who is partially blocked might be treated like a sitewide block by an
extension. That seems safer to us than potentially allowing a user more
freedom than an admin intended with a partial block.

We found at least one extension using User::getRights() in a way that would
over-enforce on a partially blocked user. We created a patch to change how
User::getRights() works
<https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/mediawiki/core/+/471210>. In addition to
checking that a block exists, it will also ensure that the block is a
sitewide block. This will spare the partially blocked user from being
blocked in these cases.

In summary, all MediaWiki code (especially extension code) that is
concerned with checking user blocks should be aware of the distinction
between User::isBlocked() and User::isBlockedFrom( Title ) and use the
appropriate method for the kind of blocking the code is concerned with.
Additionally, using the helper method Block::isSitewide() is handy for
certain usages.

Alex Ezell
Engineering Manager, Anti-Harassment Tools Team (WMF)