Forwarding in case this is of interest to others.

Pine

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Janna Layton <jlay...@wikimedia.org>
Date: Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 9:58 PM
Subject: [Analytics] [Wikimedia Research Showcase] October 16, 2019 at 9:30
AM PDT, 16:30 UTC
To: <wikimedi...@lists.wikimedia.org>, <analyt...@lists.wikimedia.org>, <
wiki-researc...@lists.wikimedia.org>

Hi all,

The next Research Showcase will be live-streamed next Wednesday, October
16, at 9:30 AM PDT/16:30 UTC.

YouTube stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ35weAVlIU

As usual, you can join the conversation on IRC at #wikimedia-research. You
can also watch our past Research Showcases here:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Research/Showcase

This month's presentations:

Elections Without Fake: Deploying Real Systems to Counter Misinformation
Campaigns

By Fabrício Benevenuto, Computer Science Department, Universidade Federal
de Minas Gerais (UFMG), Brazil

The political debate and electoral dispute in the online space during the
2018 Brazilian elections were marked by an information war. In order to
mitigate the misinformation problem, we created the project Elections
Without Fake <http://www.eleicoes-sem-fake.dcc.ufmg.br/> and developed a
few technological solutions able to reduce the abuse of misinformation
campaigns in the online space. Particularly, we created a system to monitor
public groups in WhatsApp and a system to monitor ads in Facebook. Our
systems showed to be fundamental for fact-checking and investigative
journalism, and are currently being used by over 150 journalists with
editorial lines and various fact-checking agencies.

More info on second talk by Francesca Spezzano to come

--
Janna Layton (she, her)
Administrative Assistant - Product & Technology