Hello,
I would suggest to create one common category for Germany, and specific 
categories for the states each with in those categorynames at least the state 
(like Hessen, etc) mentioned.

Greetings - Romaine

--- On Tue, 8/2/11, Kilian Kluge <[email protected]> wrote:

From: Kilian Kluge <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [Wiki Loves Monuments] Top level Commons categories per country
To: "Wiki Loves Monuments Photograph Competition" 
<[email protected]>
Date: Tuesday, August 2, 2011, 10:11 AM

Hi Jane,
in Germany the trouble is that in every state there are different names for 
essentially the same thing. Some just have "Kulturdenkmale" (cultural heritage 
monuments), some have "Baudenkmale" ("building heritage monuments"), some have 
both, some differentiate between three or four categories... It's already a bit 
confusing on de-wp, where as a result the lists for each state have different 
naming schemes, and I doubt that it'd be helpful to carry this to Commons.

Kilian

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 7:55 AM, Jane Darnell <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi all,I am sending out a new message, since I feel this issue is pretty 
important and impacts a lot of Wikipedia projects. The other issues that Bas 
addressed also need follow up, but let's tackle these categories first.


This is the list of categories as they stand today on Commons in the top level 
category (see the email from Bas):Category:Cultural heritage monuments in 
Andorra with known IDs

Category:Cultural heritage monuments in Austria with known 
IDsCategory:Onroerend erfgoed with known IDsCategory:Cultural heritage 
monuments in Brussels with known IDsCategory:Cultural heritage monuments in 
Estonia (with known IDs)

Category:Cultural heritage monuments in Hesse with known 
IDCategory:Rijksmonumenten with known IDsCategory:Cultural heritage monuments 
in Portugal with known IDsCategory:Cultural heritage monuments in Romania with 
known IDs

Category:Cultural heritage monuments in Spain with known IDsCategory:Cultural 
heritage monuments in Wallonia with known IDs
I think only the Belgians and the Dutch have chosen their names well, because 
they are using the terms that are covered by law in their country. The other 
categories should be renamed to reflect the legal term in those countries. My 
reasons are as follows:

1) The term "Cultural heritage monument" is not defined anywhere, in any 
country's wikipedia.2) We are using a formal designation that has been assigned 
by a government agency and is covered by the European Council's international 
law on cultural property. In order to refer to the proper designation, we need 
the formal name of the designation.

3) The sub categories are going to have native names anyway, so why have a 
strangely named top-level category that no one understands (including 
English-speakers)?4) When we make interwiki links to these things we should be 
consistent across all countries. 


I noticed a confusing situation has already occurred in the German Wikipedia, 
where the top level category for the Austrian monuments is "Kategorie:Liste 
(Kulturdenkmale in Österreich)", when I fully expected it to be 
"Kategorie:Denkmalgeschütztes Objekte". On Commons I would expect 
"Category:Denkmalgeschütztes Objekte with known IDs", and in the English 
Wikipedia, I named it "Category:Denkmalgeschütztes Objekte".


Jane

_______________________________________________

Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list

[email protected]

https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonuments

http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu



-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

_______________________________________________
Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonuments
http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu
_______________________________________________
Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonuments
http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu

Reply via email to