Hi Platonides,

Thanks for your comment and sorry for our delay. It's been really busy
on our end in the past couple of weeks, getting prepared for the
announcement. Some comments on our end below:

* Mohammad joined the international team only a couple of weeks ago
and we got a chance to talk about the details of permissions, the
situation in Instagram, etc. in earnest only then. Some of the photos
posted there in the past we don't have explicit permission for. See
blow for future plans.
* At this point, the plan is that moving forward we only use photos of
the authors for whom we do have explicit permission. We are working on
those.
* Of course, those relatively few permissions won't be enough for the
whole year of activity that we want to have on Instagram (or Twitter),
so I'd love to see a few things happening in the comings months:
** We attempt to get permission from at least all the (up to) 10
nominations by each national competition. This is no easy task on its
own. In the best case, everyone speaks English and can respond to us.
** We share permissions between national and international
levels/organizers (I know some countries have already got permissions
and they have used a text very similar to what we use at the
international level). I'm hoping we can have a master sheet we can all
share and use.
** We work with legal experts and/or WMF to put pressure on these
platforms to fix this specific issue. This latter one will most likely
be a set of quiet activities, and I must say, this won't be the first
time we will try this as far as I hear. At least this approach has
been considered in the past.
* For the photos that have been posted without permission early on in
the activity of the account: we are hoping we can get permission from
the authors once we reach out to them. If we can't get those, we will
have to decide what to do with these posts.

I hope this addresses your question/comment. Of course, we're happy to
continue this conversation with you and others, and I'm especially
interested to find a long-term solution for this which is sustainable
(currently it's really not. We're stretching ourselves for it.). We
may have delays to get back to you if you write back in this week, but
please know that we will write back after that and once we can
breathe. ;)

Best,
Lily

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 7:29 AM, Platonides <platoni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you checked that you can publish those photos on instagram?
>
> 4. You represent and warrant that: (i) you own the Content posted by you on
> or through the Service or otherwise have the right to grant the rights and
> licenses set forth in these Terms of Use;
>
> 1. Instagram does not claim ownership of any Content that you post on or
> through the Service. Instead, you hereby grant to Instagram a non-exclusive,
> fully paid and royalty-free, transferable, sub-licensable, worldwide license
> to use the Content that you post on or through the Service, subject to the
> Service's Privacy Policy, available here
> http://instagram.com/legal/privacy/, including but not limited to sections 3
> ("Sharing of Your Information"), 4 ("How We Store Your Information"), and 5
> ("Your Choices About Your Information").
>
> https://help.instagram.com/478745558852511
>

> The rights they request may be a subset of those already granted by the
> copyright author in the chosen license... but I wouldn't be surprised if
> there was actually a legal conflict of their terms, which would preclude
> third parties from posting them there (eg. instagram dropping the link to
> the license).
>

> Best

User: LilyOfTheWest