Aude wrote:
> In this thread, I see people raising the issues regarding the Egyptian 
> government.  As we know, it's not a democracy and the Egyptian people 
> did not choose the government.  The government there is more repressive, 
> but not so much so (like Burma) that we can't have Wikimania there.  To 
> penalize Egyptian Wikimedians (and those from Jordan and other nearby 
> places), for what their government does is not cool with me.
> 

Well from what I'm gathering the scary part is that the vocal ones 
get jailed. Now, if you have someone like Jimmy Whales show up in a 
country that he has previously denounced the policies of the 
government of which has a tendency to put those people like that in 
jail, how can we be certain that the government isn't going to have 
some people that attend the conference who will start arresting 
people that are speaking or having conversations about things that 
the Egyptian government wants oppressed?

I attended the first two conferences and I remember some very heated 
  and controversial conversations that people enjoyed being apart of 
and discussing (including problems of the current global wars, the 
censorship of wikipedia in certain counteries, etc.) and it would be 
very disconcerting to have to be watching what we say in egypt to 
make sure we don't end up in jail.

so in short, I believe the question is what guarantees will the 
attendees and speakers have that they will not be arrested even if 
they say something that the government doesn't agree with?

Important note: I'm going off from the limited knowledge of what 
I've read in this thread and of some of the concerns listed with the 
bid and a brief search on google about some of the arrests made 
since 2000 that were publicized. I do not know the current state of 
politics of Egypt. If this isn't how the government normally 
operates then just tell me to shutup :)

cheers,
Kyle


_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l

Reply via email to