2009/4/21 Wojciech Pędzich <wpedz...@wp.pl>:
> effe iets anders pisze:
>> talking about journalists... it might be good to consider telling the
>> local teams (or at least the winning team) some time in advance before
>> making the decision public, to enable them to prepare a proper (joint)
>> press release from the chapter and/or the wmf. I know this is not very
>> ideal towards the community, but this might be an advantage to catch
>> attention, and to reach out that way.
>>
>> best, lodewijk
>
> Against. That'd mean there are some priviledged people who should know
> (how will you define them?) and "the others". I also don't think that
> whoever gets word of the results will be able to keep his keyboard shut
> for long enough. Besides, it's the WMF who's organising the conference
> with the aid of the local team and local chapters (if available) the way
> I understand it. Don't shoot for PR, just try to make the best bid you
> can so that the conference runs smoothly, not with glamour.

I'm against as well, I don't think it's practical. If the bids were
made by chapters, rather than "local teams" (which are really just
informal groups of people that aren't particularly well defined), then
it might be possible, but that isn't the case. Perhaps in the future
we'll be able to make it a requirement that bids are made by chapters,
and then we could consider things like this, but I'm not sure chapters
are widespread enough for that yet. Give it a couple of years.