On 13/01/2014 03:35, Samuel Klein wrote:

I don't understand why the current scholarship criteria make no mention
of need.
Are they meant to be for newcomers, or for the same community members
each year?

Per my reply on [[wm2014:Talk:Scholarships]], there's simply no way for the reviewers or the WMF to verify someone actual needs. Unless we are comfortable and want to move down the road of asking for and checking each applicants personal financial circumstances before awarding a scholarship, there's no fair and accurate way of taking needs into account.

I too am concerned that the current scholarship process tends to
polarize the community, and too often simply rewards long-time community
members, or those who are connected to large movement entities, with
free travel: rather than increasing the diversity of new voices and
faces at global events.

This is a discussion the community should have. However, I can say now that I know of many people who not only disagree with the above, but think the exact opposite is actually taking place. Namely, that dedicated and long term contributors are missing out in the name of balance and diversity to those who have barely contributed to our projects and unlikely to do much in the future either.

Personally, I think a balance need to be struck between the two.

KTC

--
Katie Chan
Any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent the view of any organisation the author is associated with or employed by.

    - Heinrich Heine

---
is active.