(responding inline)

> On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 5:08 AM, Lodewijk <lodew...@effeietsanders.org>
> wrote:
>
>> (not responding to a person in particular)
>> I'm a little bit at a loss here. The proposal is to share a lot of
>> information from the application process (whether attempted to anonimize or
>> not) beyond statistics. Given the high number of countries and other rather
>> specific characteristics, anything vaguely useful will likely contain at
>> least some personally identifiable information.
>>

> PII disclosures can be limited to what users have already disclosed in
> public (which, admittedly, may not be entirely current and truthful.)
> Aggregated information can be provided as well.

Sure - like I said, probably rather useless depending on the goal you want
to actually *do* with the information. And still tricky, aggregated
information could be provided to some extent, but probably not to the level
of detail you'd want.

>> More likely even, anything you can share without being personally
>> identifiable will probably not be very relevant for the application
>> consideration. Sure, you could do some gender statistics, but how does that
>> tell you why people have been rejected?
>>

> I anticipate that the level of transparency would be insufficient to
> evaluate the Scholarship Committee and WMF decisions about individual
> applicants. However, the information that is published may still be useful
> and of interest when considering trends and groups.

OK, so you want to discover 'trends and groups'. Goal 1 identified.

>> So I'd like to take a step back: what exactly is the problem you're
>> trying to solve? Is publishing a lot of data really the best approach to
>> that solution? If you define the problem well, I can imagine a few
>> alternative approaches, like asking the scholarship committee to report
>> back with an analysis of the problem and how they went about it - or asking
>> an independent person/persons to sign an NDA, and go into the data,
>> investigate and report back. They could actually go in depth - but it
>> requires a good definition of the problem.
>>

> My impression is that there are disappointments and complaints almost
> every year about scholarship awards. I hope that increasing transparency
> will result in a decreased number and intensity of complaints about
> individual cases, and will also increase the amount of information that is
> made public which can be used by anyone and everyone to analyze policies
> and practices and to make recommendations for refinements or changes as may
> seem best.
>
> Also, as a broader theme, I would like to see more transparency about how
> WMF funds are used. A change of practice like we're discussing here would
> be one step in that direction.

Of course there are going to be disappointments and complaints every year.
Unless we increase the acceptance rate to 100%, that is bound to happen in
a process that always results in some personally disappointing outcomes.
Even with perfect transparency and process, people will be disappointed.
And a process will never be perfect. I sincerely doubt transparency will
decrease the intensity or number of complaints about individual cases - I
rather suspect it will increase them. As transparency often does. Which is
fine if the transparency brings other benefits - but don't expect it to go
down.

Also, identified the second goal: propose recommendations for refinements
and changes.

Good! Two valuable goals. Now, just disclosing stuff the best approach to
tackling it?

Lodewijk