I don’t believe it is a  to inform people that their scholarship application
has passed Phase 1.
It raises false hopes and gets some people working hard to develop a
presentation or workshop they intended to make and making preliminary tentative
arrangements to comply with their domestic and professional commitments - for
some people a Wikimania is a journey half around the world incurring a total
absence from home of many more days than the duration of the conference. It’s
not a pleasure trip.

Kudpung