Hello,

FYI.

Welcome to the third newsletter for the new Growth team
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Growth>!

The Growth team's objective is to work on software changes that help retain
new contributors in mid-size
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/New%20Editor%20Experiences/Midsize%20Wikipedias>
Wikimedia
projects.

*Two Growth team projects to be deployed in next two weeks*

We will be deploying the "Understanding first day" and "Personalized first
day" projects on Czech and Korean Wikipedias in the coming weeks. See the
new project pages below for full details on the projects, and our project
updates page <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Growth/Growth%20team%20updates>
for
their progress.

   - Understanding first day
   <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Growth/Understanding%20first%20day>:
   learn about the actions new editors take right after creating their
   accounts. We will be careful with user privacy, and we hope to share
   initial results in December.
   - Personalized first day
   <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Growth/Personalized%20first%20day>:
   learn about new editors' objectives by adding some optional questions to
   the new editor’s registration process, and personalizing their onboarding.
   We hope to share initial results in December.

*Third Growth team project begins*

   - Focus on help desk
   <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Growth/Focus%20on%20help%20desk>: direct
   newcomers to the local help desks where they can ask questions to help them
   make their first edits. We hope to have an initial experiment running in
   December.

*Best practices for helping newcomers*

We are going to direct newcomers to help desks. But what's the best way to
reply to a newcomer there? We have gathered some best practices
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Growth/Communities/How%20to%20work%20with%20newcomers%20on%20help%20desks>
for
successful interactions, based on community experiences and some external
documentation. The page has also been reviewed by some experienced
community members who suggested some changes. That page is now open for
translations
<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Translate&group=page-Growth%2FCommunity%2FHow+to+work+with+newcomers+on+help+desk&action=page&filter=>.
Comments and suggestions are still welcome
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Growth/Community/How%20to%20work%20with%20newcomers%20on%20help%20desk>
!

*We are still looking for volunteers*

Do you want to participate to our experiments? We are looking for new
communities to work with us (especially a new mid-size
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/New%20Editor%20Experiences/Midsize%20Wikipedias>
wiki),
and people to become ambassadors to help us to communicate with the
different communities. Discover how you can involve yourself or your
community <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Growth/Communities>.

Also, please share this update with your community and interested people!

*Learn more about us*

You can visit our team page <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Growth> to find
out why our team was formed and how we are thinking about new editors, and our
project page <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Growth/Growth%20team%20updates>
for
detailed updates on the projects we'll work on.

*Growth team's newsletter
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Growth/Newsletters> prepared by the Growth
team <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Growth> and posted by bot
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:MediaWiki%20message%20delivery>,
13:29, 7 November 2018 (UTC) • Give feedback
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Growth/Newsletters> • Subscribe or
unsubscribe
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global%20message%20delivery/Targets/Growth%20team%20updates>.*