As the librarian who sent this around said.... why wouldn't
mathematicians who were so inclined just contribute to Wikipedia
articles instead? There is some debate about that point on the EoM
talk page.

http://www.encyclopediaofmath.org/index.php/Talk:EoM:This_project#EoM_and_WP

This does raise an interesting sourcing issue though -- the published
Encyc. of Math is certainly a reputable source, and should be cited in
the appropriate Wikipedia articles, though I know there's a lot of
debate around whether to cite other wikis as sources. And on the
Encyclopedia of Math wiki talk page there's a debate about whether
they should copy material from Wikipedia!

-- phoebe

I guess your last paragraph answers the question which you ask in the last-but-one paragraph: because Encyc. of Math is a reputable source, and we are not (and not supposed to be). Evenb though quality of some of our articles may be better.

Cheers
Yaroslav