On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 6:06 AM, Erik Moeller <e...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> * IPv6 adoption is still below 1% globally [1].
> * It's likely that we'll encounter network-level issues well before we
> hit application-level issues during limited production testing.
> * In the event that we manage to resolve all issues, it's likely that
> we'll only see very limited use/abuse of IPv6 addresses and that we'll
> have plenty of time to adjust procedures and documentation.

I find it interesting that privacy is the main objection that has come
up, because the problem with IPv6 from the POV of WMF is the ready
availability of anonymizing proxies.

My own prediction is that, within a short period of time, 99.9999% of
edits done through IPv6 will be abuse.  I'd say immediately, but 5
days may be a bit too short for hoards of people to figure out how to
chain an IPv6 proxy and TOR.

> * We can abort this fairly easily, or as Tim suggests, employ global
> blocks of IPv6 addresses to manage abuse.

Make sure to practice doing this.  It's only a matter of time.

Maybe putting a limit on the number of IPv6 edits that can be made per
minute would be a good idea too.