On Jun 14, 2012 1:30 AM, "Brandon Harris" <bhar...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

>        A couple of weeks ago, Brion Vibber and I started walking through
a series of thoughts about eliminating publicly viewable IP addresses
altogether, creating "Proto Accounts".  That is, to completely anonymize
anonymous users (by calling them "Anonymous XXXXXX") and at the same time
creating system whereby Anonymous users might be encouraged to become
registered users (and retain the edits they did anonymously).

>        This would work by "back-loading" the account creation process:
>
>                1) User makes anonymous edit (as "Anonymous 1234").  Edit
is logged as "Anonymous 1234").
>                2) User is given call-to-action to convert to a registered
account.
>                3) User fills out account form (username, password, email)
(let's call them "AwesomeSauce89")
>                4) Proto account gets renamed to "AwesomeSauce89"; the
edits that were under "Anonymous 1234" are now listed as being by
"AwesomeSauce89"

>        I also spoke with Tim Starling about this in Berlin and he agreed
that it was a good idea.  However, this would be no small feat.  A big part
of the problems involved in this type of anonymizing involve how we deal
with range blocks.

>        Would this be something people might like to see. .

Yes!

--JV