On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 09:07:02PM +0100, Andreas Kolbe wrote:

> I've always been against ads, but as far as I am concerned, the illusion of
> an NPOV project ended with the SOPA strike, and Jimbo's current exploits
> around O'Dwyer (who I agree should not be extradited, but doh, that is not
> the point ...) just underscore that.

The SOPA strike was necessary for us to retain neutrality. (It's the old
freedom to swing your fists where you wish, versus limiting the arc to
avoid my nose discussion; aka BSD vs GPL; aka "do what you want", vs "do
unto others";  etc. (incidentally, is there a general term for this 100% freedom
vs -except not allowed to take away freedom- rule?))

It might be useful to try to correct newspapers if they state we set
aside our neutrality. It was precisely our neutrality that was at stake!

Of course if Jimmy wants to do other political things, he should be a
bit careful to either explain to everyone why it's necessary for the
foundation and/or explain that he's doing it independently and his views
do not nescessarily reflect the views of the board, etc etc. I hope he's
doing that consistently. Are you saying that maybe he hasn't?

> Besides, the ones putting pressure on TV Tropes, and who made them take the
> pages down, are Google.
> That is the same Google who are a major financial contributor to Wikimedia.

Hmmm. I think WMF talks with different departments at Google than TV
Tropes does. It might be useful to enquire?

sincerely,
        Kim Bruning