Hey Mike,

I'm not sure I have a very satisfying answer beyond - I think we did not want
to "spam" a low-traffic list largely made up of non-developers with developer
related updates.

My sense is this list's target audience is a rather niche group of volunteers.
However, their size is often disproportionate to the value they can contribute
as developers.  Many are paid to maintain MediaWiki installations and as such,
already develop tools beneficial to the rest of us.  However, given their
motives, they are often less engaged than our core developers.  This has often
led to corporate and other powerful wikis running MediaWiki having custom
extensions, themes, etc. that could benefit others.  In talking with those
folks, the sense I got was they did not want the usual volunteer info, and did
not want discussions.  They simply wanted to know the best ways to keep their
tools alive in our developer community without getting fully embraced in our
developer community.  This seemed like a reasonable middle ground.  That
doesn't speak to every type of person that may find this list helpful - but in
general I think a very small fraction of current members of wikimediaannounce-l
would find this interesting and I think very little of that list's traffic
would be interesting to the folks on this new list.  lol - that make sense?

All of that said, I would not be shocked if a better solution emerged in the
future or if that list's group one-day wanted to become more integrated into
general Wikimedia culture, vs the very niche private developer community.

-greg

PS.  I'm scrambling to get ready for a family vacation - so apologies if this
is not well written.  :)