On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 09:22:12 +0100, Thomas Morton wrote:
On 9 July 2012 20:41, Milos Rancic <mill...@gmail.com> wrote:

In less than half an hour Russian Wikipedia will go on one-day strike
against SOPA/PIPA-like law in Russia [1] (in Russian).

Unless I am missing something key; whilst this is a crappy law, it is not much like SOPA/PIPA in that it doesn't seem to threaten the existence of
Russian Wikipedia.

Comparatively; when some ISPs in the UK blacklisted The Pirate Bay at the
behest of the government we didn't black Wikipedia out over it.

Ok, let me may be provide a bit of a background.

1) The law is formally directed against child pornography, drug trafficking, hate between religions etc. The idea is that every website (whatever it means) where information violating the law has been discovered will get a one-day notice to remove the info, and if it fails to do so, the access to the whole website will be blocked by all providers legally operating in Russia. On paper, nothing in this law threats Wikipedia and sister projects.

2) There is no political freedom in Russia, and courts are not independent. Therefore many people are afraid that once the law is in force (tomorrow it must be voted in the second hearing, and the third hearing in September is typically automatic) that it may become an instrument for central and local authorities to shut down access to internet sites at will claiming they advertise something listed in the law. Russian Wikipedia is not the only organization which raised such objections; another is for instance the Presidential Council on Hyman Rights (the suggestions of this council are typically get ignored despite its affiliation with the president), or the National Broadcasters Associations.

3) It is widely expected that the protest is going to be completely ignored. Indeed, the blackout has been reported in media, with both the minister of telecommunications and the vice-speaker of parliament explaining that the law has no threat for Wikipedia, and will not be amended.

4) The discussion on Russian Wikipedia was initiated yesterday morning by Stanislav Kozlovsky, the executive director of wm.ru. (He never wrote anything in his wm.ru role, and I believe the chapter was not involved in any way). First nothing happened, but in the late evening there was the blackout suggestion coming. Eventually, around 10pm it was transferred into a RFC, which was closed at 11pm since the number of votes for the blackout was clearly exceeding the votes against the blackout. No attempt was made top analyze the arguments, it was just a hasty majority decision. From what I know, no consultations with external parties were held. In contrast to the en.wp blackout, the mobile version of ru.wp is available now.

Cheers
Yaroslav