On Jul 26, 2012, at 5:33 AM, Andreas Kolbe <jayen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Ray Saintonge <sainto...@telus.net> wrote:
>
>> On 07/25/12 12:48 PM, Andreas Kolbe wrote:
>>

>>> So there were how many years of faffing about before they hired *one guy*
>>> for this project? This is an organisation with a $20m annual budget, now
>>> acquiring umpteen paid chapter officials.
>>>
>>> The "paid chapter officials" are employees of the chapters themselves.
>

> The money comes from the same pot, as you know. The chapters are funded
> from the same donations as the Foundation.
>

>> The best way to bring hostility against your own pet projects is by being
>> hostile towards the projects of others. What makes one project more
>> deserving than another.
>

> Simplistically, chapters are marketing, while programmers and designers are
> product development. Marketing is important, but not more so than product
> development. To be fair, the Foundation is hiring product development
> staff, and it's not a choice of either/or.
>
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Job_openings

You must live in a very simplistic world, but I am afraid it does resemble
reality very well. Here are how some various types of things and people are
funded. Tool server=chapter. Developers= Mostly WMF but some chapter. Marketing
professionals=WMF but no chapter I am aware of. Legal professionals=WMF and
chapter.  Administration of fundraising campaign=WMF and chapters. You will not
find any bright lines in reality.

Birgitte SB