Hi,

Jessie started to work on a page that shown breakdown of the scholarships
given in 2012, by the WMF and the chapters - and the cost.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania/Scholarships/2012

I think it's great, but we need to share much more information about "how
much Wikimania cost to the movement".

Wikimania is our biggest and most expensive event\project - and the costs
spread around movement. Beside scholarships, the chapters and the WMF
spending money on their staff and boards - and this also need to
be transparent. When we know Wikimedia Israel gave 4 scholarships for
people from Israel, the WMF gave another two - this is not the full
picture. WMIL also sent paid for the travel of one board member. In some
others chapters the numbers are much bigger (staff+board).

Also, we have WMF and Chapters support to the conference itself.

I published here Wikimania 2011 costs & income:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania/2011/Budget

I'm not asking everyone now to start digging for their costs in 2011, but I
think we can start do it from this year.

I posted here WMIL travel costs:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania/2012/Budget/Chapters

I'll be happy if the chapters and the WMF can post their costs also
and I'm encouraging Wikimania 2012 local team also to post
their conference costs and incomes.

I think this transparency is important, and this knowledge about the total
costs to the movement is also important to others who planning Wikimania in
the future.

Itzik
WMIL