On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Risker <risker...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 September 2012 21:20, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonav...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 3:33 AM, Samuel Klein <meta...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > It's funny, most organizations point to our community as am example of
>> how
>> > to manage such things with volunteers.
>> >
>> > Another example: law reviews offer an excellent and widely reproduced
>> model
>> > where the most esteemed publications are run by students.
>>

> Well, perhaps. But their "peer review" is courtrooms, where the decisions
> are made publicly and are produced by the justice system free of charge to
> the journals.  Otherwise, the articles are written by students with faculty
> advisors reviewing their work.  I don't think anyone wants medical studies
> to be "peer reviewed" by medical students.

FWIW, I was on a peer-reviewed law journal (there are a few) where
students managed the reviewer-wrangling process, with the occasional
aid and input of an also-unpaid faculty advisor.

-Kat

--
Your donations keep Wikipedia free: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate
Web: http://www.mindspillage.org Email: k...@wikimedia.org,